Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Once in a Lifetime - Venus Transit

Hello everyone.  It has been too long since I posted anything, and I have a fair number of photos taken over the last month or two that I will post soon. But I had to put this one up!  Yesterday (June 5, 2012) was the Venus Transit -  an event during which the planet Venus passes directly between the Earth and the Sun so that the silhouette of Venus is visible against the disk of the Sun.  There has been a bunch of information in the news about this over the last couple of days so I won't get into that. So... given the rainy weather the last few days I did not expect to be able to see the event, but the skies cleared in the afternoon.  Just as it was about to start (literally, about to the minute), a rain cloud blocked out the skies again. Luckily the skies cleared and I was able to take this shot not too long before sunset.  Venus is the small dot in the upper right of the Sun. Enjoy.

1 comment: