Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Show Time!


So… my first solo show in a gallery (Rome Art and Community Center, Rome NY) is this Friday!  I have had photos entered into shows and contests before, but this is different. In the group shows, my contribution was but a small part of what made that event a success – a whole made of many parts. Here, the quality of the show lies squarely on my shoulders, and that makes me very nervous.

It doesn’t seem possible that the show is about to open.  It has been scheduled for about a year, but way back then it was an abstract notion – something that would happen someday, but not yet. Then a few months ago, I began printing the photos that I thought I might use.  I ordered most of the frames last month.  The last week has been spent with me in a panic trying to decide what photos to use, filling out paperwork for the gallery, assembling everything, and wondering how it could be time for the show already. Perhaps the craziest part of this process is the fact that photos that I was convinced would be a part of the show even a few days ago are not necessarily the ones I picked. I have been obsessing over which photos to use and trying to narrow down the choices. I guess that I was afraid I wouldn’t pick the “right” photos. And then the drop-off deadline arrived, and I dropped off the photos.  The gallery director kindly asked me if there was anything else I needed, I promptly replied that I didn’t know and returned the question by asking if there was anything else I needed, and was then on my way and relieved to be done. Now, I am simultaneously excited to have the show open and horrified at the thought of it opening.

Next post -- the show opening!

Photo of the day: “Absurdity” While this one is not in the show, I only just recently took this photo, it does follow the theme of Light.


No comments:

Post a Comment